Monday, July 28, 2008

In the wild again!

A view of town from our hike

This weekend we checked out a camping spot in Aiea. Approved! It is above the town...a nice little quiet area with only about 7 camping spots. We were thinking it would be fun to go back with friends and take up all the spots so the whole place could be ours!


There is something about sleeping outdoors that always makes me feel better about life. I guess I like being under the stars without distractions of cars, lights, and noises. In our tent I appreciate the fact that we are so small compared to the whole world. Admist the small feeling, I feel that we captured the night and it only exists because we exist under it. It is a very grand feeling...and I guess it is how we should all feel; because even if there was only one person left in existence, the earth would still be here just for him! The night is ours!



In the morning we hiked along the Aiea ridge. There was also a medicinal/healing Heiau that was pretty cool!
Another view....Mt. Ka'ala in the distance (I've been wanting to hike that mountain forever! The tallest mountain on Oahu)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are having a baby. You will have to name it bellatrix, penny lyra, jack or albus severus.

Chris & Jackie Kontoes said...

I want to camp there if ever you guys go again. It looks beautiful!

Jennelle said...

aaaaw! That looks like the best camping place. I wish we were still there so we could go with you guys.
AND
Congrats on y I think I ou being prego! I think I heard that through the grape vine before we left but wasn't sure. I am so happ-eeee for the both of you.

miss you =o)

modestmuse said...

I hiked Mt. Ka'ala a few years ago -- it was the best hike I've ever been on. It took 6 hrs. and you have to watch out for the wild piggies!! But it was cool -- there are at least 3 noticeable changes in the flora as you make your ascent -- at the top it's super wet and lush and so beautiful.

I'm not much of a camper, but I love your description of the feeling of sleeping in the outdoors.