Sunday, April 27, 2008

KOKO CRATER

Some may wonder why my husband and I have 2 separate blogs. We do this because even though we enjoy the same events and activities together...we both have different perspectives and ideas. I like his blog better, so if you want to check his perspectives out click on Jared Zane Kessie!



We went hiking up Koko crater in Hawaii Kai this weekend. I never knew there was a railroad track that went straight up to the top of it! In a way it reminded me of Stairway to Heaven, except we were walking up a train track instead of steps. Of course it wasn't quite as long either. While walking I tried to imagine the train chugging its way up to the top in the 1950's. My grandpa served on a military base here, and I wondered if he ever journeyed up to the top of the same crater.

Imagine your train zooming down these tracks! You can't tell from this picture, but this is a bridge going over a little gap in the crater. It was kinda scary walking on because I imagined my feet falling through the tracks!

View of Haunama Bay.... I could not tell where the ocean met the sky. It was such a hazy day it seemed we were in a snow globe of sky.

I like old graffitied walls

The gears!

There was a plethera of old military gear. We even found a secret bunker! The reason it was secret...is because it would not have been found if we didn't do some exploring. Nathan and I were sitting on a cement looking hut and did not even realize what lay beneath us! We then noticed there was a door, but the hinges were rusted shut. I peeked in a tiny slat window (just barely big enough to shimmy through on my stomach) and I saw a dark staircase leading down! We wanted to go explore it...but knew it would be hard without a light. We used the flash on the camera and we could not see the end of the stairs. Zane had to lay on his stomach and lean over the opening while I sat on his legs in order to take the picture. It totally reminded me of Lost. I think someday we may try to go down, but I kinda want to bring a rope to rapell because I don't trust those rusty stairs! I thought it was neat that it was so hidden; i'm sure people have re-discovered it before, but I doubt many!

The Hatch



cool pointy ridge

We were so hot that we HAD to jump in the water at Sandy's to cool off after!

This hike was kinda a last minute thing. We wanted to invite others...but we did not want to wake people up early in the morn against their will. If you are interested in hiking next weekend, or any weekend for that matter, let us know! We love hikes!

5 comments:

j,d and little b said...

Me and Dan thought about doing that Hike this weekend it looks awesome! We got way to lazy though. I didn't know there were train tracks that led to the top! That is amazing!

Anna K. said...

Aww! That would have been awesome if you guys came with us. I even thought of you guys because I knew you liked to hike. I was too scared to call you early in the morning though!

Jennelle said...

Now I understand what you were talking about at church now. I had no idea about the tracks either. I think we are going to have to add that on our things to do before we leave. Dang! Our list keeps getting longer and longer. Call us if you want to do Stairway...Brady wants to do it again.

shira said...

anna, i want to do that hike. let devin and i know the next time you are doing a hike! if it's not too early for devin, we'll have to join you! see ya tonight at craft night!

Anonymous said...

In 1947 my father was the commanding officer a camp at KoKo Crater. I road up and down the tram which would hold about 6 men. I was 9 years old. I have a picture of the tram with some men in it going up the crater. Cliff Speer